Home     .     Portsmouth FC     .     Celebrity     .     Music Technology     .     On This Day     .     Concerts     .     Movies

Portsmouth FC

FA Cup 2008

  Home Managers Players A-Z FA Cup 2008 Transfers Seasons Team Records  


On the 17th May 2008 Portsmouth Football Club reached their highest achievement in my time of supporting by winning the

 FA Cup Final against Cardiff City


Portsmouth received a bye into the third round. Their opening match was a 1–0 away win against Championship side Ipswich Town at Portman Road on 4 January 2008. Striker David Nugent, who started the match as a substitute, scored the winning goal in the 51st minute (and his first goal since September 2007), allowing Portsmouth to progress into the next round. There, they were drawn against another Championship club Plymouth Argyle. The match held at Portsmouth's home ground, Fratton Park, saw the visitors take the lead early in the first half when striker Chris Clark scored his first goal for Plymouth, which came from a deflection off Hermann Hreiđarsson. Portsmouth responded with their recently signed midfielder Lassana Diarra converting a corner kick pass from midfielder Pedro Mendes in the 34th minute. A goal by Niko Kranjčar from an eight-yard pass from right back Glen Johnson gave Portsmouth a 2–1 victory and progression to the next round of the FA Cup.

The club faced Preston North End away at Deepdale in the fifth round. In the final seconds of the match, Preston midfielder Darren Carter attempted to clear a corner kick from Kranjčar but struck the ball into his own net. In the sixth round, Portsmouth was drawn away to fellow Premier League club Manchester United at Old Trafford. Portsmouth took a 1–0 victory after midfielder Sulley Muntari converted in a penalty following a foul by United reserve goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak on striker Milan Baroš which prompted Kuszczak's dismissal off the pitch. This ended the chances of Manchester United of replicating their success of the 1998–99 season. Championship side West Bromwich Albion were the opposition in the semi-final, which was also held at the neutral Wembley Stadium, on 5 April 2008. Striker Nwankwo Kanu side-footed the winning goal of the match, which meant Portsmouth had secured a place in the final for the first time since 1939.

Starting 11
























































































Unused Substitutes













Road To Wembley
Round 3 05/01/08 A Ipswich Town 23446

1 - 0

Round 4 26/01/08 H Plymouth Argyle 19612

2 - 1

  Diarra . Kranjcar
Round 5 17/02/08 A Preston North End 11840

1 - 0

  Carter (og)
Round 6 08/03/08 A Manchester United 5436

1 - 0

Semi-Final 05/04/08 N West Bromwich Albion 83584 1 - 0   Kanu
Match Report
Kanu’s first-half goal won the FA Cup for Portsmouth against Cardiff City in a low-key final at Wembley.

The Nigerian scrambled home the winner at the near post eight minutes before half-time after Cardiff keeper Peter Enckelman fumbled John Utaka’s cross.

Cardiff enjoyed possession but rarely posed a serious threat, although Glenn Loovens had a goal ruled out for handball in first-half injury time.

And Portsmouth held on to claim the trophy for the first time since 1939.
It was a personal triumph for emotional Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp as he claimed his first major trophy in a management and coaching career stretching back 25 years.

He raced on to the pitch afterwards to celebrate as Portsmouth’s win earned them a place in next season’s Uefa Cup – their first European adventure.

The final was given a magnificent backdrop by both clubs’ noisy and colourful fans who clearly wanted to make the most of their moment in the limelight.

Underdogs Cardiff, who were trying to become the first team from outside the top flight to win the Cup since West Ham United beat Arsenal in 1980, played with spirit, but did not have the quality to seriously disturb the Pompey defence, in which Campbell and Sylvain Distin were outstanding.

Cardiff boss Dave Jones did not gamble on Robbie Fowler, even as a substitute, after four months out with a hip problem – and his side did not feel his absence in a lively start.

Joe Ledley played in Paul Parry in the 12th minute but Portsmouth keeper David James made a crucial block to deny Cardiff the lead.

Kanu posted the warning signals for Cardiff as early as the 21st minute when he took a pass from Sulley Muntari in his stride and danced around keeper Enckelman, only to send his effort against the outside of the post with the goal unguarded.

He made no mistake eight minutes before the interval when Enckelman could only push out Utaka’s whipped cross from the right flank and Kanu pounced to score.

Cardiff had more than held their own and almost provided an instant response when Parry raced clear down the left, but his cross stretched Kevin McNaughton as he arrived at the far post and the chance was gone.

And Bluebirds had a goal ruled out in first-half injury time when Pompey keeper James – who has form for high-profile mistakes in FA Cup finals – missed a corner, but Loovens handled before sending a looping finish into the net.

Loovens came to Cardiff’s rescue after 52 minutes when Utaka set up Kanu again and he was forced to block a goal-bound shot with his chest.

Cardiff failed to apply consistent pressure to Portsmouth and boss Jones made a change after 61 minutes, sending on gifted 17-year-old prodigy Aaron Ramsey for Peter Whittingham.

It had been a desperately disappointing afternoon for the veteran Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, so it was no surprise when he was also hauled off with 20 minutes left and time running out for a Cardiff response.

David Nugent had come on as replacement for Utaka, and he forced Enckelman into a smart near-post save from a rising drive as Portsmouth attempted to kill the final off.

Loovens had proved to be a danger man for Cardiff at set-pieces and he sent a header bouncing just over the bar from Ramsey’s corner after 79 minutes.

Cardiff’s desire to push forward for an equaliser left them open to a counter-attack and Distin almost punished them with a run from the half-way line that was only halted by a fine tackle from Roger Johnson.

But it was Portsmouth’s day as for once the favourites justified their tag in this season’s unpredictable FA Cup.

To their credit, many Cardiff supporters stayed inside the stadium to see Pompey lift the Cup before they melted away to contemplate their sorrows.

Portsmouth: James, Johnson, Campbell, Distin, Hreidarsson, Utaka (Nugent 69), Pedro Mendes (Diop 78), Diarra, Muntari, Kranjcar, Kanu (Baros 87).
Subs Not Used: Ashdown, Pamarot.

Booked: Hreidarsson, Kranjcar, Diarra.

Goals: Kanu 37.

Cardiff: Enckelman, McNaughton, Johnson, Loovens, Capaldi, Ledley, Rae (Sinclair 86), McPhail, Whittingham (Ramsey 61), Parry, Hasselbaink (Thompson 70).
Subs Not Used: Oakes, Purse.

Att: 89,874

Ref: Mike Dean (Wirral).


Updated - 04/06/2024